Sales Tax Calculator

We received a question about finding a software product that would calculate the sales tax in the 70-odd taxing units in the state of New York, which I did, but I wondered if the state tax department had anything that one could use online. I called a representative, who said there was none; he was wrong, as I found this free NYS sales tax lookup solution. It's a lot easier than looking up a list of all the communities in NYS, or even using this chart, and a lot more efficient. As the communities document states, do NOT use ZIP code alone as the criterion for assigning sales tax. ZIP Code 12309, e.g., is in both Albany and Schenectady Counties.

That said, if you’re looking for ZIP Codes by county, go here.

I suspect that most merchants are unfamiliar with the sales tax calculator, based on this discussion, where one participant writes: "Ugh... I think I'll just ban sales to New York residents and just be done with it. :-)." Please get the word out that, if one has the street address and the ZIP Code, one can easily find the sales tax rate.

What I could NOT find a tax rate collection chart for 8 5/8% that goes higher than $9.99. Do you know where to find one?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New York State County ZIP Codes

Starting a Mobile Food Concession Business? Be Sure to Follow the Rules of the Road

Beware credit counseling services like Clear Your Debt LLC