Ripoff Report

When I checked my mail after work yesterday, there was a flyer advertising a work-at-home oppotunity that made me both laugh out loud and feel bad for the nice people in my neighborhood that will fall for it. In order to become involved in the "valuable home work and business opportunities" the flyer indicates that interested parties should send $5 and a self-addressed stamped envelope to a P.O. Box in Albany. Of course "No experience needed! Great pay! Free information!" sounds enticing, but the reality is that the company "BIG Capital" gives no contact information. Needless to say, there is no evidence that this is a scam, but all signs point to a rip-off.

In the five weeks that I have been here, I have conducted research for three clients that have invested in dubious work-at-home opportunities. While the Better Business Bureau is the place to file formal complaints against a company, it provides little detail on the complaint or how it was handled. For more information, I was led to Ripoff Report, a website devoted to consumer protection. In two of the cases that I did research on, Ripoff Report had consumer complaints listed. One of the reports also had a rebuttal from the company, where the consumer complaint was acted upon.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I get like 50 of these type of ads in emails every day, plus a few each week by mail. I've used Ripoff Report many times, just like you tho it didn't save me about 4 years ago when I fell for a stupid scam. Wish i'd known then about Ripoff report so I couldve checked them out before, and I would have saved myslef like $5000! Even my grandma got taken with a stupid scam. Like they say, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is! nothing is free!!!
Anonymous said…
I do find your blog very useful and informative. Actually, I do believe that the customers are the best source of information concerning the companies and goods. If the company has more positive than negative reports then it is worth something. Consumer Complaints are very numerous at the present time. At the following web site www.pissedconsumer.com you may find the complaints on different companies. Positive reports are rather rare. The site will help you to find out about the drawbacks and disadvantages of this or that company.

Popular posts from this blog

New York State County ZIP Codes

Starting a Mobile Food Concession Business? Be Sure to Follow the Rules of the Road

Beware credit counseling services like Clear Your Debt LLC