Monday, January 18, 2016

How to Dispute an Error in Your Credit Report

Have you found a mistake in one or more of your credit reports?  The Mid-Hudson SBDC has compiled guidance on how to fix an error on your report.  

How To Dispute an Error in Your Equifax Credit Report

If you find an error in your Equifax Credit Report or in any of the products that contain information from your file, you should initiate an investigation with us free of charge using one of the three methods described below. We will investigate your concerns directly at the source (creditor, collection agency or courthouse), respond to you within 30 days, and send you an updated copy of your Equifax Credit Report via US Mail. If you are in the process of applying for a loan, immediately notify your lender of any incorrect information in your file. Your lender will need to reorder your credit file and score once any changes have been made to your information at Equifax.
To initiate an investigation, you will need to have a current copy of your Equifax Credit Report. If you do not have one, you can purchase one online for immediate online access. You can also call 1-800-685-1111 to receive a copy by mail.

Confirmation Numbers

You will need to have your Equifax Credit Report confirmation number handy when initiating a dispute. If you purchased your Equifax Credit Report via the Internet, your confirmation number is located at the top of your credit report. If you received a copy of the information in your credit file via US Mail, the confirmation number is located in the upper right hand corner.

Some consumers may not receive a confirmation number. This is either because your credit file is affiliate-owned or you have purchased your credit report through an Equifax reseller.
If your file is affiliate-owned, you live in a part of the country where an affiliate office shares the credit database, but "owns" your credit file. Because that office maintains ownership of your credit file, you must initiate a dispute directly with that office. The phone number to that office is located at the bottom of your Equifax Credit Report. If, however, you purchased your credit report through an Equifax reseller, you will need to obtain your credit report directly from Equifax to initiate a dispute.

Investigation Methods

Online: The most efficient method is to initiate the investigation online by going to

Telephone: A toll free number is listed at the bottom of your on-line Equifax Credit Report. You must have your ten- digit confirmation number to gain access to the online investigation feature, or to speak with a customer service representative via telephone.

Equifax Information Services LLC
P.O. Box 740256
Atlanta, GA 30374
No confirmation number is required on written correspondence.

How To Dispute and Error in Your TransUnion Credit Report

Our goal is to maintain complete and accurate information on your TransUnion credit report. If you do not recognize information on your credit report, or believe an item may be inaccurate, you may request us to investigate the data and correct any discrepancies. Only inaccurate information may be removed from your credit report; negative information that is accurate will stay on your credit report as long as governing laws allow.

Dispute online
Go to

Dispute by phone: If you have a recent copy of a TransUnion credit report, you may dispute any information by calling our Consumer Relations department, toll-free, at 1- 800-916-8800. Representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in your time zone, excluding major holidays.

Please have the following information on hand to complete your dispute:
Your TransUnion file number, Social Security number, date of birth, current address, company name of the disputed item (from your credit report), account number of the disputed item (from your credit report), reason for your dispute (such as, it is not your account, you have paid the account, etc.), any corrections to your personal information (address, phone number, etc.)

Dispute by mail:
You may dispute any inaccurate information on your TransUnion credit report by completing the Request for Investigation form and mailing it to TransUnion.
Post Office Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022

Once you submit your dispute...

TransUnion will contact the party that provided the information (lender or public record source) and request it to verify the accuracy of the information. The party will then inform TransUnion of any changes that should be made to the information. TransUnion will mail you an updated copy of your credit report, reflecting the results of the investigation. We will send this to you via U.S. mail within 30 days of receiving your initial request. Mail delivery typically takes 3-5 business days. If you are not satisfied with the resolution of the investigation, you may add a consumer statement to your TransUnion credit report. This is a section of your file where you can provide additional explanation. If you would like, we can even help you write this statement. 

How To Dispute and Error in Your Experian Credit Report

We recommend you review your credit report carefully for accuracy because important decisions about your creditworthiness are based on the information in your report. If you find information that you believe is inaccurate or incomplete, then you have the right to dispute it free of charge. 

To order your credit report call 1 888 EXPERIAN (1 888 397 3742).

To request a dispute, you first need a copy of your Experian credit report. If you order online, you will receive immediate access to your credit report.  Go to

The dispute process:

Experian collects and organizes information about you and your credit history from public records, your creditors and other reliable sources. If you dispute an item in your report that you feel is inaccurate, then we'll contact the source of the information and ask them to check their records to verify it. Within 30 days, the source must respond to our investigation. They may verify the item as accurate, or they may ask Experian to update or correct the item.
We'll send you an email notice alerting you when the results of your dispute are ready to be viewed online and a link to your results, if you request online delivery when you dispute. It's the fastest way to know the results of your investigation!
Sometimes investigations don't take the full 30 days.

If you dispute by mail, use the address on your credit report.

To Opt-Out of Direct Mail Offers

Call 1-888-5OPTOUT (888-567-8688) Your name will be removed from mailing lists obtained from the main consumer credit reporting agencies, TransUnion, Experian, Equifax and Innovis.

No comments: